Overview of ODBS
The Open Door Bird Sanctuary raises avian awareness and inspires coexistence with the rich natural world of Door County, of Wisconsin and wherever you call home. Please let us share a bit more detail about our vision for the sanctuary.
We are a private non-profit 501(c) 3 organization and the only facility of its kind in the area. With 34 acres of pristine land with hiking trails, wildlife viewing and our birds of prey, we offer a unique combination of environmental and wildlife education as well as being a destination for both Door County residents and tourists alike. Our visitors are all ages offering just as much awe and inspiration to adults as to children.
- Feature live raptors for educational observation for Door County school groups, service clubs, senior groups all year round both on site and off.
- Engaging environmental education through interactive, live behavioral demonstrations
- Shelter to injured raptors (birds of prey)
- Opportunity for volunteers of all ages. We have volunteers with us on a regular basis for land stewardship and construction as well as our Raptor Volunteer Program for adults, a learning opportunity not available elsewhere.
- We incorporate nature education into the mix to offer diverse program topics that highlight the property’s ecosystems and that of Door County in general using self-guided or guided hiking trails, wild bird feeding stations and wildlife observation